Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Into the cold dark season of running bliss

The time of the year has come around that all intentions for snagging epic bike rides are replaced with a strong desire to get out and run. This year has been a year of running for me mostly, with a 6 week break to settle into a new bike. For the past 3 weeks I've been steadily building back up to my summer mileage level, hitting 41 miles last week and shooting for 45 ish this week. Last week was also a milestone week for me, as I recorded over 1000 miles running in less than a year for the first time in my long history with the sport. I'm sure I've been there before, but I've never actually recorded every run.

The thing about running in the winter is that it just feels right. The cold temperatures are much easier to handle on foot than by bike, and its simple; shoes, clothes, headlamp (if its a morning run) and I'm off. The cold air is refreshing after a hot summer and although I'll surely be ready for spring come Febuary I'm enjoying a change in season.

The cold season has me thinking of new ways to challenge myself and what better way to do that than to tackle my longest race ever, a 50K in the Owyhees in January (am I crazy?). I'll have more to post on that later, but for now here's a shot of my winter bliss...


No comments:

Post a Comment